Useful TmpCreat templates
Harry Potter
2009-04-21 16:57:45 UTC
To promote my Template Creator program, I'm asking people to share a
few template files for use with TmpCreat. If you have a good file
that other people could use, i.e. a C module, a batch file or a text
document from which others can derive, please share about it here.
-------------------------
Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Creating magic in the computer community...or at least striving to! :(
Bill Buckels
2009-04-22 13:39:29 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
my Template Creator program
Hi Joseph,

1. Out of curiosity why do you attermpt to create a T directory on Drive A:

Many computers don't have drive A: these days:

See the code from SETUP.BAS below:

x--- snip ---x

A:
PRINT "Creating template directory..."
MKDIR "T"
IF ERR THEN
PRINT ERROR$ + " error creating directory."
END IF
PRINT "Done.": PRINT

x--- snip ---x

2. Under Windows XP I renamed setup.* to install.* so it does not conflict
with Windows Setup. No project for it but compiles fine with BC /X for
onerror option.

3. I find the whole concept of templates tedious. But your program looks
fine.

Bill
Bill Buckels
2009-04-22 13:52:30 UTC
Oops, that was one of your labels. Silly of me... sorry.

I can't build this. I'll need to look later but the simtel version seems to
be missing source code.

Bye
Harry Potter
2009-04-22 16:55:16 UTC
Post by Bill Buckels
I can't build this. I'll need to look later but the simtel version seems to
be missing source code.
Bye
You need Visual Basic for DOS Pro 1.0 to compile the program. You can
get it at http://www.qbcafe.net/. Look in the Downloads page under
Compiler and Interpreter and click QBasic. It is on the bottom. BTW,
did you see *.FRM and *.BAS files in the distribution? They are the
source code.
Bill Buckels
2009-04-23 00:23:50 UTC
You need Visual Basic for DOS Pro 1.0 to compile the program. You can get
it at http://www.qbcafe.net/.
I already got it Joseph. As I said I had no problem compiling your setup
program using BC /X. When I load your makefile into vbdos and try to build
the TMPCREAT.MAK project ("Make EXE" on the menu) I get the error message:

"subprogram not defined" in GETINFO.FRM on the following line:

'Call File Save dialog box.
FileSave F$, P$, "*." + Ext$, "Save Template As"

It seems as if something is missing from the source that I got from simtel
as I said. Did anyone else try to compile this except for you?

Bill
Bill Buckels
2009-04-23 01:05:26 UTC
Post by Bill Buckels
It seems as if something is missing from the source that I got from simtel
as I said.
VBDOS /L CMNDLG.QLB TMPCREAT.MAK worked for me no problem. Disregard my last
several messages.

Bill
Harry Potter
2009-04-23 16:58:30 UTC
Post by Bill Buckels
VBDOS /L CMNDLG.QLB TMPCREAT.MAK worked for me no problem. Disregard my last
several messages.
Bill
I'm glad you got the code running. However, after 31 downloads, I
only received one piece of feedback about how the program *works*.
Tell me what you think about the program. Is it good or bad? Why?
Jim Leonard
2009-04-24 14:05:02 UTC
I'm glad you got the code running.  However, after 31 downloads, I
only received one piece of feedback about how the program *works*.
Tell me what you think about the program.  Is it good or bad?  Why?
I don't see the point of a program that is essentially a mail merge
program for ASCII text files. (At least, that's what I think it does
-- there are no example files or documentation.) If I want to do mail
merge, I use a word processor.

If you use templates a lot, I'd be curious what for.
Harry Potter
2009-04-27 15:34:50 UTC
Post by Jim Leonard
I don't see the point of a program that is essentially a mail merge
program for ASCII text files.  (At least, that's what I think it does
-- there are no example files or documentation.)  If I want to do mail
merge, I use a word processor.
This is not a merger. It can read *any* file. It actually copies the
original file to its T\ directory as a template and, when you need it,
creates a new file out of the template. BTW, are you sure there's no
documentation? Not one of the text files? Maybe I should download it
and see.
Post by Jim Leonard
If you use templates a lot, I'd be curious what for.
I have to admit: I have as of yet not used this program much except
for testing. It could be used for programs that need to share
modified versions of the same module such that a library would not be
feasible. That is basically why I created TmpCreat. Or if you need
to create text files, such as a copyright or a form, that need to be
copied again and again. Even, for the comp.sys.cbm group a disk or
tape image. I have plans for improving TmpCreat, though.
Jim Leonard
2009-04-28 17:52:59 UTC
This is not a merger.  It can read *any* file.  It actually copies the
original file to its T\ directory as a template and, when you need it,
creates a new file out of the template.
So it is a graphical replacement for the "copy" DOS command? That's
all it does?
Harry Potter
2009-04-29 16:53:27 UTC
This is not a merger.  It can read *any* file.  It actually copies the
original file to its T\ directory as a template and, when you need it,
creates a new file out of the template.
So it is a graphical replacement for the "copy" DOS command?  That's
all it does?
I have to admit: it is just a front-end to the copy command. :
( However, it *does* allow you to organize templates and acts as a
DOS alternative to Win32 Explorer's File->New template command. I
have a Win32 extension to said command to handle multiple templates
per file class planned.
Harry Potter
2009-04-29 16:38:07 UTC
This is not a merger.  It can read *any* file.  It actually copies the
original file to its T\ directory as a template and, when you need it,
creates a new file out of the template.
So it is a graphical replacement for the "copy" DOS command?  That's
all it does?
It *does* allow you to organize templates. Other than that, you're
right. :(
Jim Leonard
2009-04-30 14:48:26 UTC
So it is a graphical replacement for the "copy" DOS command?  That's
all it does?
It *does* allow you to organize templates.  Other than that, you're
right.  :(
I think you've answered your own questions.

Still, any programming exercise is still exercise. Now, your next
project should be a utility/application/game/whatever that you
yourself have a need for. If you want something that doesn't exist,
building it yourself is incredibly rewarding.
Bill Buckels
2009-04-25 13:40:48 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
I'm glad you got the code running.
Me too. I was curious about VB for MS-DOS which is why I downloaded your
program in the first place. In the late 80's when I was programmming in
QuickBasic 4.5 as well as MASM 5.1 and MSC 5.1 I wouldm create
mixed-language programs in all 3 languages together for fun. Hwoever I used
MSC and MASM at work to build real programs for sale.

When Windows 3.1 came along I made the jump to both MSC/C++ 7 and Borland
C++ 3.1 and it wasn't until 1998 that I bothered with VB at all. Recent
years have seen me using VB.NET but I remained curious about VB so when I
saw that yoiu had written in this old thing I gave it a try.

I will create a complete command line build environment for this to go along
with the hundred or so other compilers that I keep on this machine and this
is essentially done.
Post by Harry Potter
However, after 31 downloads, I only received one piece of feedback about
how the program *works*. Tell me what you think about the program. Is it
good or bad? Why?
I already did tell you. I am not much into templates. Nor am I much into
typing into databases. You'd best ask someone who has a use for this.

Let me say this. About 15 years or so ago I wrote a screensaver bundle for
Windows 3.1 and had over 17,000 download form one of my pages alone. In fact
my screensaver "template" from this bundle was used as the basis of
distributed computing theory for an experiment called "Models at Home" which
was written-up in Bio-Informatics.

You can download a copy of a Windows XP port of one of these at
http://www.clipshop.ca c/w with source code and other goodies.

Anyway the point is that despite all those years of that and the countless
other shareware and freeware code I have written I get virtually no
feedback. I do it for fun and learning.

That's all the feedback I am going to give you, and you have a tendency to
ignore my messages to you, so until you take time to respond to those (many
others ignore you) don't ask me any direct questions again.

Take Care Joseph,

Bill
Harry Potter
2009-04-27 15:44:36 UTC
Post by Bill Buckels
Post by Harry Potter
However, after 31 downloads, I only received one piece of feedback about
how the program *works*. Tell me what you think about the program.  Is it
good or bad?  Why?
I already did tell you. I am not much into templates. Nor am I much into
typing into databases. You'd best ask someone who has a use for this.
If you are not into templates, you don't have to try my program. The
database is an internal database of the currently available templates
and is not directly handled by the user, although you can add to or
delete from the database.
Post by Bill Buckels
Let me say this. About 15 years or so ago I wrote a screensaver bundle for
Windows 3.1 and had over 17,000 download form one of my pages alone. In fact
my screensaver "template" from this bundle was used as the basis of
distributed computing theory for an experiment called "Models at Home" which
was written-up in Bio-Informatics.
I have Win3.1 on floppies. The laptop on which I could install it has
little hard drive space, so I'm not going to install it.
Post by Bill Buckels
You can download a copy of a Windows XP port of one of these athttp://www.clipshop.cac/w with source code and other goodies.
Anyway the point is that despite all those years of that and the countless
other shareware and freeware code I have written I get virtually no
feedback. I do it for fun and learning.
I understand. I guess I should not ask for feedback.
Post by Bill Buckels
That's all the feedback I am going to give you, and you have a tendency to
ignore my messages to you, so until you take time to respond to those (many
others ignore you) don't ask me any direct questions again.
I'm sorry about that. Sometimes I get 20 or 25 responses and it gets
frustrating, and I tend to ignore them.

-------------------------
Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community... or at least striving to. :(
Bill Buckels
2009-05-03 14:50:17 UTC
If you have a good file that other people could use, i.e. a C module, a
batch file or a text document from which others can derive, please share
about it here.
Hi Joseph,
Is there a app that will build d81s
http://www.viceteam.org/plain/NEWS

** C1541 changes
----------------

- You can create D71 and D81 disk images now.

http://www.viceteam.org/vice_10.html#SEC157
Do you think it's possible to write a BAT that would translate a .d64
directly into a .d81?
If that's all you want then the following should work... (see batch below)

Bill

x--- snip ---x
@echo off

if not exist %1.d64 goto USAGE
if "%2"=="" goto BEGIN
goto PROCESS

A Windows XP batch file
to convert d64 to d81 disk images
using c1541.exe
(C) Copyright 2009 Bill Buckels
Use freely but at your own risk.

:BEGIN
if exist %1.d81 (
echo %1.d81 already exists!
echo If you continue, it will be deleted!
echo Press [CTL]+C to exit now or
pause
del %1.d81
)

REM prepare the list of files from the d64
c1541 -attach %1.d64 -dir -quit > %1.lst

REM call ourselves recursively to build the d81
FOR /F "tokens=2,3,4,* delims=, " %%i in (%1.lst) do (
call %0 %1 %%~i %%~j %%k
)
echo Done!

REM clean-up
del %1.lst
goto END

:PROCESS
REM the routine to build the d81 from the d64
REM skip invalid fields

set FILENAME=%2

if "%FILENAME%"=="" goto END
if "%FILENAME%"=="opencbm.dll" goto END
if "%FILENAME%"=="BLOCKS" goto END

REM assume perhaps foolishly that if no d81
REM we make one, otherwise we just add to it

if not exist %1.d81 (
set ID=%3
call c1541 -format %FILENAME%,%ID% d81 %1.d81 9 -quit >NUL
echo Created %1.d81 %FILENAME%,%ID%
goto END
)
NUL
echo Copied %FILENAME% to %1.d81

goto END

:USAGE

echo d642d81.bat (C) Copyright 2009 Bill Buckels
echo %1.d64 not found!
echo Usage is "d642d81 my.d64"
echo Output is "my.d81"
echo Requires c1541.exe (v2.1)